A house has been located on this site along the Penn ridge since the early 1800’s.
As documented by the Buckinghamshire Advertiser in 1972, eight people who lived in Penn had the idea of purchasing the property in order to open a residential home. They acquired Alde House for the purpose of providing a comfortable home for people connected with the village in order that they could be well cared for and live near their families.
The then nine bedroom house on the Penn Road was acquired, before they even knew if a loan from Amersham Rural Council was available. Fortunately the finance materialised and the project was able to proceed. In later years a new wing has been added, together with a lift, modern furniture and fittings.
One-and-a-half acres of ground surround Alde House, which commands a fine view across the Thames Valley to Windsor Castle and beyond.