Alexander House is so much more than a care home. It is a real home. My mum moved in 2019 and has now lived there very happily for over 18 months. She is very well cared for and really enjoys life … I particularly appreciate always feeling very welcome and included in her care. I’m not treated as ‘a visitor’ but as part of the home community which means I don’t think of Alexander House as an ‘institution’ but as my mum’s home. All the staff have gone the extra mile to pull together during the pandemic and have done everything they can to keep the residents safe. I’m so grateful that my mum has been so well looked after during this difficult time.
– Dec 2020
We look forward to welcoming you to Alexander House where we have created a caring community for up to 20 people.
The health, safety and wellbeing of people living, visiting or working here is paramount, and we can assure you that your priorities regarding safety, care, cleanliness and enjoyment are ours too.
Free Wi-Fi is available in every room and every shared area of the building. We have increased access to technology, and iPads can be used to support regular video calls, enabling residents to communicate more frequently with their loved ones through Zoom, Teams or Skype …
We are proud to provide a variety of activities online and offline. Our activity coordinator offers a range of stimulating activities tailored to individual preferences and our monthly calendar is full of events – Yoga, Pilates, Gardening, Quizzes, Prayers, Poetry Club are just a few examples. Our Vibrant Community platform enables people living here to stay connected with families and other communities having fun together. We have good connections and support from the local church and volunteers.
Electronic Medication Administration System (E-mar) and Electronic Care Planning (PCS) are in place to guarantee the best quality of care.
We love to welcome people in spring and summer as a lot of activities take place in the garden during these months, and we have a lovely outdoor seating area where our residents love just sitting, chatting and enjoying the sun, or strolling in the grounds. The garden is an outstanding feature of the home, with its own summer house, sensory plant beds and an impressive Cedar of Lebanon tree.
Alexander House became part of Keychange in 2003. It had originally been built as a family home in the early 20th century in the wealthy residential area of Wimbledon Village. The care home was founded as a result of a donation to the National Free Church Women’s Council in the 1940s and named Alexander House in honour of Lady Alexander, a past president of this Council.
An attractive conservatory has been added since the house was originally built, as well as additional bedroom accommodation in a 2-storey wing in the 1960s. In 2020 a major refurbishment of the internal communal areas at Alexander House took place, including redecoration, new curtains, new floors, new carpets and new furniture.
Wimbledon Common is a very short distance from Alexander House, and Wimbledon Village shops are easily accessible on foot.
Summary of our Services
- You are welcome to bring your own furniture when moving in
- Delicious, home-cooked food
- On-site laundry service is included in the price
- Free Wi-Fi, laptops and iPads available for you to use
- Strong Infection Prevention and Control measures in place
- Personal Protective Equipment available at all times for staff and visitors
- Staff and residents regularly tested for Covid-19
- Regular Yoga, Pilates, Gardening, Poetry Classes and lots of other activities available
- Church services
- Regular GP, Dentist, Physiotherapist, Optician visits
- Hairdresser and Chiropodist available on request
- Landscaped garden with lovely sitting area
- Parking available
- Specialised care equipment including hoists, lifting aids, bathing equipment
- Chair lift on staircase for easy access
- Sensor mat provided if required
- Call bell system in all rooms
- Lift to all floors
- Private telephone lines in all residential rooms
- Broadband and television connections in all rooms